Please or Register to create posts and topics.

The Book of Proverbs

This morning I felt that I should take a close look at the book of Proverbs and share it in this forum.

The book of Proverbs can be divided into basically seven parts.

I believe that it is important to, on the surface, when studying the Scripture, understand the purpose for what is being written. Who was it written to and why, what value was intended for that person or group of people, etc. ??

What application does it have in and for my life; always being sensitive to what the Holy Spirit and the spirit of the Word of God it trying to say to me, personally, that I can apply to my daily walk and relationship with those that come in contact with me and surround me, as well as my relationship with my Heavenly Father?

I would encourage you to make notes somewhere, such as a Journal, which the Spirit of God can bring you back to, for remembrance.

Please feel free to add thoughts and comments that you may have by selecting 'reply', typing in your comment or question and selecting 'submit'. If you need to change something after submitting you can select 'edit' at the top right portion of the box that has you comments in it.

Thank you for your participation.

As you read this please think about cause and affect (such as gravity, etc.) or the conditions required in order to receive a promise.

Examples:

You are, physically, what you put in your mouth, what you feed your face. It is not easy to eat healthy!

You are emotionally what you feed your eyes and meditate on emotionally.

You become like those that you hang around with and admire.

What you talk about, your speech, is a result of what you listen to and what you think or meditate on. Out of the abundance of the heart (your feelings, the will and even the intellect) the mouth speaks.

You are, spiritually, what influences that you place yourself under, listen to and meditate on (Whose feet do you, attentively, sit at?); it does not matter what you agree with or disagree with, the influence will affect what you are and/or what you become.

Chapter 1.

Advice to the reader

PROVERBS.

The value of Proverbs.

1 The proverbs of Solomon son of David, king of Israel,
2 "by which" men will come to wisdom and instruction
and will understand words that bring understanding,
3 and "by which" they will gain a well-instructed intelligence,
righteousness, justice, and probity.

4 The simple will be endowed with shrewdness

and the young with knowledge and prudence.

5 "If" the wise man listens, he will increase his learning,

and the man of understanding will acquire skill
6 to 'understand' proverbs and parables,
the sayings of wise men and their riddles

Advice to young men.

7 The fear of the LORD is the beginning [Or chief part] of knowledge,
but fools scorn wisdom and discipline.

8 Attend, my son, to your father’s instruction
and do not reject the teaching of your mother;
9 for they are a garland of grace on your head
and a chain of honour round your neck.

The Old Testament concept of 'grace' in the Strong's Dictionary is foundational for the New Testament concept which has the divine influence of Jesus and the Holy Spirit added to it.

Old Testament

H2580     חֵן      chên      khane
From H2603 (Note the Hebrew definition of this root word for H2580 is below); graciousness, that is, subjectively (kindness, favor) or objectively (beauty):

(The following are the English words (not the definition of the Hebrew, that is just above) that are used in translating the Hebrew concept of grace according to the King James translators:)   - favour, grace (-ious), pleasant, precious, [well-] favoured.       Total KJV occurrences: 69

(H2603 - properly to bend or stoop in kindness to an inferior; to favor, bestow; causatively to implore (that is, move to favor by petition):)

New Testament

G5485    χάρις    charis    khar'-ece
From G5463 (Note the Hebrew definition of this root word for G5485 is below); graciousness (as gratifying), of manner or act (abstract or concrete; literal, figurative or spiritual; especially the divine influence upon the heart, and its reflection in the life; including gratitude):

(The following are the English words (not the definition of the Hebrew, that is just above) that are used in translating the Hebrew concept of grace according to the King James translators:) - acceptable, benefit, favour, gift, grace (-ious), joy liberality, pleasure, thank (-s, -worthy).
Total KJV occurrences: 156

G5463 - to be full of “cheer”, that is, calmly happy or well off; impersonal especially as a salutation (on meeting or parting), be well:

Please note the root or foundation word meanings and how the concept has changed from the Old to the New Testament.

Comments or replies are welcome!

Continuing with the study of Chapter 1 of Proverbs

Verses 7 – 19 contain repeatedly the direction, or the recipient, that this counsel is directed toward, ‘my son’.  No matter what our society would say, boys and girls are different. Both are in need of a Savior (Deliverer, Rescuer) but from different types of evil.

I grew up being taken to various denominations of churches. I got to see lots of different people who called themselves by the name of Christ, Christians. Even as a young person in the Word of God, I noticed that the women condemning the bad habits of men, regarding smoking, drinking, etc., were totally failing to see the fact that they were ‘overweight’ and could not control their eating too much. The root internal evil was the same; a lack of self-control, but the outward evidence of the problem was different.

I would also add that our body make-ups are different also. I could eat and over eat, without control, but my body never showed my lack of self-control.

God looks at the heart. We cannot hide our secret sins, our missing of the mark or disobedience to what, before God, is doing what we know is right to do.

Jesus came not to condemn but to deliver; so our heart should be, not to look down on others weakness, but to pray for all of us to experience the deliverance, of whatever we are bound to, by the blood sacrifice of Jesus Christ. We should then take up our cross and follow Him dying daily to the control of our senses; the flesh and selfishness.

Advice to young men.

7 The fear of the LORD is the beginning [Or chief part] of knowledge,
but fools scorn wisdom and discipline.

From the King James Bible; “The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.”

Knowledge: H1847 from H3045; knowledge:

[the key here, to understand the meaning of H1847, is found in the root word; H3045  A primitive root; to know (properly to ascertain by seeing); used in a great variety of senses, figuratively, literally, euphemistically and inferentially (including observation, care, recognition; and causatively instruction, designation, punishment, etc.):

Fools H191 from an unused root (meaning to be perverse); (figuratively) silly:

Being ‘silly’ seems to be a disease of our society with all the cutting or put-downs just to get a laugh from the crowd. The double meaning of words, etc.

Despise H936 a primitive root; to disrespect:

Wisdom from H2449; wisdom (in a good sense): (H2449 is a primitive root, to be wise (in mind, word or act):

[My understanding of the practical  difference between the words wise and wisdom is not just to know what is good and bad or right and wrong; that is wise; wisdom is the ability to always choose to live within the good or correct words or actions.   Being foolish would be the improper use of knowledge of good and evil, whatever the reason, even silliness which twists or distorts the truth for a laugh.]

And…

Instruction. H4148 from H3256; properly chastisement; figuratively reproof, warning or instruction; also restraint:

The definition of chastisement in Noah Webster’s Dictionary is “Correction; punishment; pain inflicted for punishment and correction, either by stripes or otherwise.”

As I was meditating on what I should share, I felt that I needed to make available, if possible, an audio of Proverbs for those that struggle with reading or time to sit down and read. Well I was very excited to find that the reading that I appreciate most is available on You Tube.

I would encourage that if you want to get the Word of God into your heart that you frequently listen to the reading of His Word! If you would like a copy of any You Tube file I would be happy to get it for you. Just let me know the address. We need the Word of God in our minds. That will keep us from sin.

My guess is that Satan would have you do anything but to listen, read, understand and obediently live the Word of God, from the Spirit of God.

There is one more word that I missed at the beginning of verse 7; the word ‘fear’.

Fear H3374 feminine of H3373;  fear (also used as infinitive); morally reverence:

H3373 From H3372; fearing; morally reverent:

H3372 A primitive root; to fear; morally to revere; causatively to frighten:

reverence - Fear mingled with respect and esteem; veneration.

When quarrels and factions are carried openly, it is a sign that the reverence of government is lost.

The fear acceptable to God, is a filial fear, an awful reverence of the divine nature, proceeding from a just esteem of his perfections, which produces in us an inclination to his service and an unwillingness to offend him.

As I was rereading the verse and the Hebrew definitions I wondered what the verse with those definitions would read like.

Here is my effort…

“The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.” looks like the following, to me, from the Hebrew definitions...

The inclination to God’s service and an unwillingness to offend him, is the beginning of knowing His heart, His ways, by experiencing Him in an intimate relationship: but the silly, (distorted from the right, obstinate in the wrong, disposed to be contrary and stubborn). have no respect for truth and knowing what is morally right or wrong; nor respectful fear of the pain inflicted for punishment and correction; they want no part of reproof, warning or instruction.

Moving on….

I do not understand the importance of all the characteristics or traits connected with Wisdom. Wisdom is identified as a Feminine Spirit with certain, seeming, human traits.

Mark 12:24-25  And Jesus answering said unto them, Do ye not therefore err, because ye know not the scriptures, neither the power of God?  25 For when they shall rise from the dead, they neither marry, nor are given in marriage; but are as the angels which are in heaven.

Luke 20:34-36  And Jesus answering said unto them, The children of this world marry, and are given in marriage:  35  But they which shall be accounted worthy to obtain that world, and the resurrection from the dead, neither marry, nor are given in marriage:  36  Neither can they die any more: for they are equal unto the angels; and are the children of God, being the children of the resurrection.

I really appreciated how Noah Webster 1828 Dictionary defines wisdom!

Wisdom

The right use or exercise of knowledge; the choice of laudable ends, and of the best means to accomplish them. This is wisdom in act, effect, or practice.

If wisdom is to be considered as a faculty of the mind, it is the faculty of discerning or judging what is most just, proper and useful, and if it is to be considered as an acquirement, it is the knowledge and use of what is best, most just, most proper, most conducive to prosperity or happiness.

Wisdom in the first sense, or practical wisdom, is nearly synonymous with discretion. It differs somewhat from prudence, in this respect; prudence is the exercise of sound judgment in avoiding evils; wisdom is the exercise of sound judgment either in avoiding evils or attempting good. Prudence then is a species, of which wisdom is the genus.

Wisdom gained by experience, is of inestimable value.

It has been quite some time since I have thought about the study of Proverbs, especially Chapter 1.

I have been struggling with some of the ideas and songs of this generation, the two major philosophies of life that are in the world as well as the church.

As I was reviewing some of the things that I have placed here I came across the reading or the entire book of Proverbs by Alexander Scourby. I was spotting through the audio to see if it was the entire book when this verse jumped out at me. "Proverbs 30:12 There is a generation who are pure in their own eyes and yet are not washed from their filthiness."

I did not conclude the end of the first chapter as it is rather heavy. Here it is from the Amplified Bible...  Remember this is Wisdom speaking....

Proverbs 1:20-33 Wisdom cries aloud in the street, she raises her voice in the markets; 21 She cries at the head of the noisy intersections [in the chief gathering places]; at the entrance of the city gates she speaks: 22 How long, O simple ones [open to evil], will you love being simple? And the scoffers delight in scoffing and [self-confident] fools hate knowledge? 23 If you will turn (repent) and give heed to my reproof, behold, I [Wisdom] will pour out my spirit upon you, I will make my words known to you. [Isa. 11:2; Eph. 1:17-20]

24 Because I have called and you have refused [to answer], have stretched out my hand and no man has heeded it, [Isa. 65:11-12; Isa. 66:4; Jer. 7:13-14; Zec. 7:11-13] 25 And you treated as nothing all my counsel and would accept none of my reproof, 26 I also will laugh at your calamity; I will mock when the thing comes that shall cause you terror and panic-- 27 When your panic comes as a storm and desolation and your calamity comes on as a whirlwind, when distress and anguish come upon you. 28 Then will they call upon me [Wisdom] but I will not answer; they will seek me early and diligently but they will not find me. [Job 27:9; Job 35:12-13; Isa. 1:15-16; Jer. 11:11; Mic. 3:4; Jas. 4:3] 29 Because they hated knowledge and did not choose the reverent and worshipful fear of the Lord, [Pro. 8:13] 30 Would accept none of my counsel, and despised all my reproof, 31 Therefore shall they eat of the fruit of their own way and be satiated with their own devices. 32 For the backsliding of the simple shall slay them, and the careless ease of [self-confident] fools shall destroy them. [Isa. 32:6] 33 But whoso hearkens to me [Wisdom] shall dwell securely and in confident trust and shall be quiet, without fear or dread of evil.

I am reminded of the verses in Matthew 13:15 and Isaiah 6:10.

How many are seeking eye salve or white garments or understanding of the Words of God so that they can see error and repent, turn from Godless ways and be healed?

Satan has such a hold on humanity. Most lives are so busy and the rest of the time is spent in vain endeavors. I was looking at the stock market and reading investor news. I do not remember if I have ever attempted to study what I was reading before. One of the areas of stock that has really increased like never before is the computer gaming businesses. Now that people have the time, shut up at home, many are choosing gaming to fill their minds. Where is the affections and love of the hearts?? Vain activity or worthwhile endeavors?

I do not understand all that is happening in this generation but there is so much tension and stress in all of life including the music, even of the church. It started in my youth, and I enjoyed the music of the world, with what I called the screaming guitars. People do not seem to like real peace. It is reserved of the elevator and the funeral home; very short lived, definitely not a regular diet. I have no appetite at all for any music that is on the radio, worldly or 'christian.'

I can not totally explain the philosophies that are at war in this generation.

The one that I have chosen to follow requires both a physically and spiritually healthy immune system (which can immediately deal with, as soon as they enter the body, or kill germs of all types and all selfishness, sin) and a selfless life style to maintain them. It is written that health plants do not need the anti bug sprays, I do not have the wisdom yet to grow healthy plants. It takes all of my attention keeping the spirit and body maintained.

The other acknowledges an immune system but it is to be enhanced by man made drugs that work quick and allow for a self indulgent lifestyle; it is big on killing all that is supposedly or possibly bad in the body at the expense of (killing) all the good bacteria that God has created and which are trying to heal the body. This philosophy is evil!!! So evil that they attact and try to destroy any from the other philosophy that are really helping people and seeing healing. This war is against good by evil. It is a spiritual war in the bodies and minds of humanity.