Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Expectation or Confidence, A Bible Study

The last two Sundays have emphasized the idea of expectation. Expectation is very important in our relationship with Jesus.

As we listened to the last to Sunday in fellowship with the Herr family, Bridget shared a scripture that came to her mind today from Romans 5,

Romans 5:2-5  By whom also we have access by faith into this grace wherein we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God.  3  And not only so, but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience;  4  And patience, experience; and experience, hope:  5  And hope maketh not ashamed; because the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost which is given unto us.

….especially 5:4….   And patience, experience; and experience (G1382 - test; by implication trustiness:), hope (G1680 expectation or confidence:):

Experience  1. Trial, or a series of trials or experiments; active effort or attempt to do or to prove something, or repeated efforts. A man attempts to raise wheat on moist or clayey ground; his attempt fails of success; experience proves that wheat will not flourish on such a soil. He repeats the trial, and his experience proves the same fact. A single trial is usually denominated an experiment; experience may be a series of trials, or the result of such trials.

Our focus was on the word “hope” which is in this Greek word more than anticipation, it has confidence.

Pete brought another element to my thoughts today in his comment from Eric Bates and the matter of meeting together. If I may go one step further, regarding people gathering together, Satan may not mind people even gathering together.

The thing that I believe Satan is all about is keeping a lack of unity in the Body of Christ. Satan does not want the Body being of one mind in trust and confident expectation in our Heavenly Father.

Anyhow, with that in my mind, I wanted to see exactly how the writer of Hebrews expressed the importance of not forsaking the assembling of the body of Christ in Hebrews chapter 10.

Here it is…

Hebrews 10:23-25  Let us hold fast the profession of our faith (G1680 expectation or confidence:) without wavering (G186 not leaning, firm:); (for he is faithful that promised;)  24  And let us consider one another to provoke (G3948 incitement (to good), from G3947 to sharpen alongside,) unto love and to good works:  25  Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting (G3870 to call near, that is, invite, invoke (by imploration, hortation or consolation):) one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.

I was excited to see that the two concepts were brought together using the same Greek word “G1680 expectation or confidence

If you appreciated Pete’s messages for the two Sundays on “expectation” I would like to “provoke and exhort” you to do a search/study on the usage of Strong’s G1680 in the New Testament to learn about expectations; as well as the idea of confidence in the Old Testament.

There is another Greek word, G4136 for “entire confidence.”

Hebrews 6:11 AndG1161 we desireG1937 that every oneG1538 of youG5216 do shewG1731 theG3588 sameG846 diligenceG4710 toG4314 theG3588 full assuranceG4136 of hopeG1680 untoG891 the end:G5056

Hebrews 10:22  Let us draw nearG4334 withG3326 a trueG228 heartG2588 inG1722 full assuranceG4136 of faith,G4102 having our heartsG2588 sprinkledG4472 fromG575 an evilG4190 conscience,G4893 andG2532 our bodiesG4983 washedG3068 with pureG2513 water.G5204