Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Holy Spirit Conviction

This is something that I felt to review regarding the statement or question brought up by Jason in our Bible Study.

Sadly on my part, this morning, I didn't listen right away to read the devotional first, but was relying on a different line of thinking. I finally was brought to read the following devotional by F.B. Meyer, which is where I will begin.

(This may be rather lengthy and needs quiet time!! I was just going to text Jason, but felt to share it with all. I hope that I am listening and hearing correctly now.

Please write down any scripture or thoughts that the Lord may put on your heart as you read and meditate. Log in and add them, please.

I am writing this as a post script, an after thought.

My mind is conformed to the church ideas that I have grown old with. Which I share below along with a closing parable of Jesus'. The conclusion of that parable is that,  "Many are called"... with not a lot of emphasis on the idea that ".....few are chosen."

Forgive me if I still have a desire to believe that the "calling" is to all that will come, who feel the hunger for deliverance, repent and walk in obedience.

Questioning thoughts, is or was the Bible written for the saint or the sinner or both? More and more I think that it was written to the children of God or believers. ....More meditation... was the Bible written to men or women or both?? Does it really matter???)

http://www.youdevotion.com/walk/october/22

October 22, 2020

THE PROMISE OF THE HOLY SPIRIT

"And it shall come to pass in the last days, saith God, I will pour out of My Spirit upon all flesh: and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams." — Act 2:17.

IN HIS sermon, on the Day of Pentecost, the Apostle Peter quoted the latter part of this prediction by the Prophet (Joel 2:28). Not much is known of this prophet, who probably lived in Judah during the reign of Uzziah. But evidently his anticipation of the outpouring of the Divine Spirit had its fulfilment in those memorable scenes in which the Christian Church was born.

Before the Day of Pentecost, the Holy Spirit had descended only upon the elect souls of the Hebrew race—upon Abraham and Moses, upon Samuel and Elijah, upon Isaiah and others of the prophets. This supreme gift of God was reserved in those days for the spiritual aristocracy of Israel, for the men who were called to eminent office and responsibility, as kings, prophets, or leaders. But Joel said that the time would come when the Holy Spirit who had been reserved for the few, was to be poured out upon the many—the young men and maidens would prophesy; even the slaves and the most despised classes of the community would partake of the Divine experience.

Whatever Pentecost means—it is open to the reception and enjoyment of us all, "Every one of you," said St. Peter, "shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost." To you is the promise, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call (Act 2:38-39). Let us take this to heart.

Some years ago, electricity was the perquisite of the few, but now the poorest girl or lad may utilize it and be carded along in the electric car; and it is the boast of our scientists and inventors that they are able to bring the benefits of their discoveries within the reach of the most needy amongst us. And Pentecost resembles this, in that the forces and gifts of the Eternal Spirit are now within the grasp of the feeblest hand which is stretched out to appropriate them. But there must be first the putting away of evil, the emptying of our hearts, the hunger and thirst of the soul for righteousness, before God can give us our share in the Gift which was made once for all to the Church, but must be claimed by each successive believer.

PRAYER

Let Thy Holy Spirit dwell in me continually, and make me Thy temple and sanctuary. AMEN.

—————————

The idea that the Holy Spirit is for anyone and not just for the leadership is important.

Where it all needs to begin is where John the Baptist as well as Jesus started it "repent". Repentance is a critical concept and without 'true' repentance there can be deception and death.

2 Corinthians 7:8-10

AMP. 2Co 7:8  For even though I did grieve you with my letter, I do not regret it [now]; though I did regret it --for I see that the letter hurt you, though only for a little while-- yet I am glad now, not because you were hurt and made sorry, but because your sorrow led to repentance [and you turned back to God]; for you felt a grief such as God meant you to feel, so that you might not suffer loss in anything on our account.

For [godly] sorrow that is in accord with the will of God produces a repentance without regret, leading to salvation; but worldly sorrow [the hopeless sorrow of those who do not believe] produces death.

In the letter to the Galatians Paul is dealing with a group of people that are changing their beliefs.

The most important concept of the whole New Testament is especially expressed in John Chapters 14, 15, 17. It is that Jesus Christ will and must live in us. Our bodies clay are to be the temple, the dwelling Place of the Holy Spirit.

Paul’s passion for the Galatians, in regard to this, is expressed in Galatians chapter 4 especially verse 19...

AMP. Gal 4:19  “My little children, for whom I am again suffering birth pangs until Christ is completely and permanently formed (molded) within you,”

Self and selfishness is our biggest enemy and it is fed and grows in soil of our flesh, our senses.

Paul then moves on, in chapter 5 of Galatians, to describe the fruits of the flesh and the fruits of the spirit. It is very important not just to have memorized what the fruits of the Spirit are. We must read and understand what Paul says, beginning with verse 16.

Gal 5:16  But I say, walk and live [habitually] in the [Holy] Spirit [responsive to and controlled and guided by the Spirit]; then you will certainly not gratify the cravings and desires of the flesh (of human nature without God).

Gal 5:17  For the desires of the flesh are opposed to the [Holy] Spirit, and the [desires of the] Spirit are opposed to the flesh (godless human nature); for these are antagonistic to each other [continually withstanding and in conflict with each other], so that you are not free but are prevented from doing what you desire to do.

It’s now very important to understand the concept of ancient slavery and bondage. We must understand it in order to grasp the Spiritual concept that Paul’s trying to get through to his readers minds, primarily to the Galatian Chruch. Paul expresses it best in Romans chapter 6.

Rom 6:6  We know that our old (unrenewed) self was nailed to the cross with Him in order that [our] body [which is the instrument] of sin might be made ineffective and inactive for evil, that we might no longer be the slaves of sin.

Rom 6:7  For when a man dies, he is freed (loosed, delivered) from [the power of] sin [among men].

———————-

Rom 6:22  But now since you have been set free from sin and have become the slaves of God, you have your present reward in holiness and its end is eternal life.

Rom 6:23  For the wages which sin pays is death, but the [bountiful] free gift of God is eternal life through (in union with) Jesus Christ our Lord.

——————————

So if you have these concepts firmly in your mind we need to go back to verse 16.

Rom 6:16  Do you not know that if you continually surrender yourselves to anyone to do his will, you are the slaves of him whom you obey, whether that be to sin, which leads to death, or to obedience which leads to righteousness (right doing and right standing with God)?

Rom 6:17  But thank God, though you were once slaves of sin, you have become obedient with all your heart to the standard of teaching in which you were instructed and to which you were committed.

Rom 6:18  And having been set free from sin, you have become the servants of righteousness (of conformity to the divine will in thought, purpose, and action).

————————————

OK so here’s the bottom line, “you are the slaves of him whom you obey,“

Remember the battle that Paul describes to the Galatians in chapter 5? There’s an old Indian story.

It is a Cherokee legend in which “An old Cherokee is teaching his grandson about life.

‘A fight is going on inside me,’ he said to the boy.

‘It is a terrible fight and it is between two wolves. One is evil — he is anger, envy, sorrow, regret, greed, arrogance, self-pity, guilt, resentment, inferiority, lies, false pride, superiority, and ego.’ He continued, ‘The other is good — he is joy, peace, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, benevolence, empathy, generosity, truth, compassion, and faith. The same fight is going on inside you — and inside every other person, too.’

The grandson thought about it for a minute and then asked his grandfather, ‘Which wolf will win?’

The old Cherokee simply replied, ‘The one you feed.’”

The Bible Truth is that... you are the slaves to the thoughts that you meditate on and yield to.

So we all have thoughts... thoughts that come from our flesh and selfishness; also thoughts that come from the Holy Spirit. Christ-like, humble, even the thoughts of a servants heart. Which one do we listen to and entertain in our mind? The one that we listen to most is the one who is our master! Remember the Word states correctly that we can not serve two masters.

I believe it’s rather difficult to starve a dog to death, the Bible refers to a battle. But, through the divine influence and concentrating on feeding the good dog by the power of the Holy Spirit, we can share the weight of the yoke with the Spirit of Christ. It is very important to keep the Holy Spirit growing stronger within us through obedience to Him! We need our lamps full of oil at all times.

I believe, the Bible's teaching is, that Christ is standing at the door knocking. If we put off answering the door it may become more and more difficult to open. It’s always better to move with the Spirit of God when He is knocking or calling.

Here is a parable which I believe applies to the idea, maybe the best:

"Jesus spoke to them again in parables, saying: "The kingdom of heaven can be compared to a king who gave a wedding banquet for his son. He sent his slaves to summon those who had been invited to the banquet, but they would not come. Again he sent other slaves, saying, 'Tell those who have been invited, "Look! The feast I have prepared for you is ready. My oxen and fattened cattle have been slaughtered, and everything is ready. Come to the wedding banquet." ' But they were indifferent and went away, one to his farm, another to his business. The rest seized his slaves, insolently mistreated them, and killed them. The king was furious! He sent his soldiers, and they put those murderers to death and set their city on fire. Then he said to his slaves, 'The wedding is ready, but the ones who had been invited were not worthy. So go into the main streets and invite everyone you find to the wedding banquet.' And those slaves went out into the streets and gathered all they found, both bad and good, and the wedding hall was filled with guests. But when the king came in to see the wedding guests, he saw a man there who was not wearing wedding clothes. And he said to him, 'Friend, how did you get in here without wedding clothes?' But he had nothing to say. Then the king said to his attendants, 'Tie him up hand and foot and throw him into the outer darkness, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth!' For many are called, but few are chosen." "
Matthew 22:1-14

It is obviously critical to understand and know what the wedding clothes were and are today, those which Jesus was referring to!

If the Lord puts other Scripture on your heart as you've read this, please add them to this post!

If you should have any problems logging in or posting please send me an email at tkulp@sunnyv.net

This morning is kind of busy as I am to gather, sort cattle and load cattle to have them taken to the sale barn. I never want to start my day without some Spiritual food so felt to read the Meyer devotional again. I thought that it really added to Jason's question of our response to the Lord, or the Holy Spirit.

October 24

CHRIST THE GOOD SHEPHERD
"I am the Good Shepherd, and know My sheep, and am known of Mine."-- John 10:14.

GOD DOES not mean merely benevolent and kind, but genuine and true. It is contrasted with the robber and the hireling. Up to a certain point the latter may do his work creditably. He will not desert the flock for trifling considerations; he will earn his pay! But when it comes to the supreme test of sacrificing his life, the hireling breaks down and leaves his flock to the peril of the wild beast. There are such shepherds who have taken up the pastoral office as a livelihood.

How different is our Lord--the Good Shepherd--who gave His life for the sheep. Why did He love us so? It will always be a mystery! He seeks those who belong to His fold, but have wandered off into the dark paths of sin. Jesus goes after the one which is lost until He finds it! That is the way of the Chief Shepherd.

The R.V. rendering brings out the intimate knowledge of Christ of His flock: "I know Mine own, and Mine own know Me; even as the Father knows Me, and I know the Father." None knoweth the Father save the Son, and none the Son save the Father. But in this same intimacy and certainty the Lord Jesus knows each of us. He knows our down-sitting and our uprising; our motives, sometimes misunderstood; the anxieties which overcast our joys; our fears and hopes. He assuages, as no stranger, can, our heart's bitterness. It is good to be known thus, for we need enter into no laboured explanation of ourselves.

Christ seeks those who do not belong to a fold (John 10:16). Probably there will always be many folds, for by the constitution of their minds men are ever disposed to view Truth from different angles. Some do not see this, and hold that if we do not believe just as they do, we have no right to assume that we belong to the flock. They forget that there may be many folds, yet one flock (R.V.). Whatever may be your special fold, the one great question to answer is: Do you hear and obey the Shepherd's voice? If so, you certainly belong to the one flock, and no one shall snatch you out of the Shepherd's hand (John 10:27-28, R.V.).

PRAYER
O Lamb of God! Who art in the midst of the Throne, but wilt be our Good Shepherd and tread the rough pathway of this world with each trembling heart. May we be abundantly satisfied with Thy provision and follow in Thy footsteps. AMEN.

Knowing this first, that there shall come in the last days scoffers, walking after their own lusts, And saying, Where is the promise of his coming? for since the fathers fell asleep, all things continue as they were from the beginning of the creation. For this they willingly are ignorant of, that by the word of God the heavens were of old, and the earth standing out of the water and in the water: Whereby the world that then was, being overflowed with water, perished: But the heavens and the earth, which are now, by the same word are kept in store, reserved unto fire against the day of judgment and perdition of ungodly men. But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day.

The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering G3114 to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance G3341.

But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up. Seeing then that all these things shall be dissolved, what manner of persons ought ye to be in all holy conversation and godliness, Looking for and hasting unto the coming of the day of God, wherein the heavens being on fire shall be dissolved, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat?
2 Peter 3:3-12

longsuffering G3114 - to be long spirited, that is, forbearing or patient From the same as G3116 with long (enduring) temper, that is, leniently

repentance G3341  -  ; (subjectively) compunction (for guilt, including reformation); by implication reversal (of [another’s] decision): From G3340 (to think differently)

compunction - A pricking of heart; poignant grief or remorse proceeding from a consciousness of guilt; the pain of sorrow or regret for having offended God, and incurred his wrath; the sting of conscience proceeding from a conviction of having violated a moral duty.

G3340  -  to think differently or afterwards, that is, reconsider (morally to feel compunction):