Please or Register to create posts and topics.

The Concepts of Rejoicing in Philippians

On Wed. evening we read and talked about Philippians Chapter 3. Part of the emphisis was regarding the word used by the KJV "rejoice". The Greek definition that was shown was G5463 defined as "to be full of “cheer”, that is, calmly happy or well off." G5463 is the  word that "Grace" comes from.

"Grace" is defined, in the Strong's Greek Dictionary, as:

G5485....

"From G5463 to be full of “cheer”, that is, calmly happy or well off;

graciousness (as gratifying), of manner or act (abstract or concrete; literal, figurative or spiritual; especially the divine influence upon the heart, and its reflection in the life; including gratitude):"

The conclusion that I get, from the connection or relationship, of the English words 'joy,' rejoice,' 'grace,' etc. is:

When I sit at the feet of Jesus and walk in fellowship, communicating with Him, yoked together with Him on an intimate level, throughout the day; allowing Him to cleanse me by the washing of His words; walking in obedience to His impressions and directions; I will find myself to be full of cheer and in a state of calm, trusting, happiness. Why? Because I've learned to completely trust Him; from (or because of) the experiences that we have been through together, even as His disciples learned to Trust Jesus in everything.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Below are the verses, Philippians, that contain the English words "joy" and "rejoice."

Notice the different Greek words that these are translated from and how the Greek Definitions effect the context of the verses and what Paul was trying to communicate to the Philippians.

Philippians _1:18 What then? notwithstanding, every way, whether in pretence, or in truth, Christ is preached; and I therein do rejoice [(G5463) to be full of “cheer”, that is, calmly happy or well off], yea, and will rejoice [(G5463) to be full of “cheer”, that is, calmly happy or well off].

Philippians _2:16 Holding forth the word of life; that I may rejoice [(G1519) to or into (indicating the point reached or entered) (G2745) a boast] in the day of Christ, that I have not run in vain, neither laboured in vain.

Philippians _2:17 Yea, and if I be offered upon the sacrifice and service of your faith, I joy, and rejoice [ (From (G4862) union; with or together(G5463) to be full of “cheer”, that is, calmly happy or well off:) G4796 to sympathize in gladness, congratulate] with you all.

Philippians _2:18 For the same cause also do ye joy [(G5463) to be full of “cheer”, that is, calmly happy or well off], and rejoice [(From (G4862) union; with or together(G5463) to be full of “cheer”, that is, calmly happy or well off:) G4796 to sympathize in gladness, congratulate] with me.

Philippians _2:28 I sent him therefore the more carefully, that, when ye see him again, ye may rejoice [(G5463) to be full of “cheer”, that is, calmly happy or well off], and that I may be the less sorrowful.

Philippians _3:1 Finally, my brethren, rejoice [(G5463) to be full of “cheer”, that is, calmly happy or well off] in the Lord. To write the same things to you, to me indeed is not grievous, but for you it is safe.

Philippians _3:3 For we are the circumcision, which worship God in the spirit, and rejoice (G2744) to vaunt] in Christ Jesus, and have no confidence in the flesh.

Philippians _4:4 Rejoice [(G5463) to be full of “cheer”, that is, calmly happy or well off] in the Lord alway: and again I say, Rejoice [(G5463) to be full of “cheer”, that is, calmly happy or well off].